Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue Jun 21 14:59:53 2005

Frank Dernie wrote:
> Peter,
> It was clear from this later information that the safety of the
> drivers, corner workers and spectators could not be guaranteed unless
> some sort of compromise on the circuit was met. There are precedents
> for this.

Remember Jackie Stewart. Sorry that's rhetorical as you obviously do :-)

> The FIA are now circulating outraged press releases which try to lay
> the blame for the actual race fiasco elsewhere.

Absolving Bernie and Max...
Clearly the technical
> failure was down to Michelin.

The FIA release I saw said that the Michelin teams could have run on their
alternates. But then they would have been uncompetitive and the fans would
have
complained because...

The absence of a compromise solution
> allowing a race to take place for the spectators was IMHO entirely  due
> to the FIA refusing to adopt such a compromise. Obviously they  have the
> power to do this though they have never used it like this  before.

Interesting, though I would have thought that the FIA backed by Bernie would
have been able to adopt whatever appropriate measures were deemed necessary
get the race run...
> I wonder what the real reason is? Time will probably tell.

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those F1 debacles that runs
and
runs.

Peter

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?)