Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Jun 22 00:01:05 2005

On 21 Jun, 2005, at 23:01, Peter Dzwig wrote:

> Frank Dernie wrote:
>>

> The FIA release I saw said that the Michelin teams could have run
> on their alternates. But then they would have been uncompetitive
> and the fans would have complained because...

It was thought at first that there was a batch manufacturing problem.
It was mooted on Friday that perhaps some Barcelona tyres, which are
the same construction as the Indy tyres, could be flown out from
France but the rig testing could not prove in the end that these
would have been any safer, hence the later suggestion of a chicane.
The FIA seem to have completely ignored or misunderstood the in depth
test data and continued to base their decision on the first guess
proposal which was shown by rig testing not to be a solution.

> Interesting, though I would have thought that the FIA backed by
> Bernie would have been able to adopt whatever appropriate measures
> were deemed necessary to get the race run...

Bernie was doing everything in his power to get the chicane. He seems
to be pretty toothless now the banks have taken over. In the old days
he would have got it done and we would have had a race - Bernie is
blameless in this issue. It is perhaps not irrelevant that the 7
effected teams are the majority of the constructor teams who have
been planning a breakaway series...........
Michelin screwed up + the FIA were intransigent = no proper race.

Frank

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?)