Subject: [Leica] B&W, digital vs. film
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 22 15:31:06 2005

On 6/22/05 2:46 AM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> Please indulge me. If not, please click delete :-)
>
> Looking at:
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photosite/PaW2005/ 26 pictures, 11 are in B&W
> (week 11 I converted to Sepia just because I thought it looks better that
> way).
>
> Week 1, 2, 3 and 16 are taken with Epson R-D1. Shot RAW and converted to
> B&W
> Week 9, 10, 12 are Tri-X pushed to ASA800
> Week 11 T-Max 400.
> Week 22 are Acros 100
> Week 24, both of them, are HP5+
>
> Not looking at my (lack of) photographic ability for the moment, but just
> judging the look of the photos for the B&W quality, what do you think?
> Consider my B&W workflow is unconventional - negatives are processed in a
> Jobo, then scan. Do they look any worse than conventional processed B&W?
>
> Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly, please
> use richard at imagecraft.com)

What can I say!? The joy, passion and inspiration behind these images just
floored me.
And here you are asking these rather basic questions on stuff!
That's a bummer Richard you should be long on top of this stuff so it's
unconscious.
If I were your best friend or manager, consultant, counselor, mentor. or
both I'd tell you to re think your commitments and put photography much
higher toward the top of the list.
Like make a new list and have photography be the only thing on it.
You've got Dektol in your veins. The backs of your eyeballs were built by
Imacon!
By the way nothing the slightest bit unusual about running film in a Jobo
and scanning them.
This is basic tonight behind many an image.
Or "workflo" is the buzz word now.
Kind of like "photoflo" but with some topspin.
But much of my point being I think you should know this. And the slew of
tech stuff which gives you the confidence to be able to do what you are
already doing.
    -Strongly felt and seen Photography.
I'm envious and I think most of us should be.
I'd make a concentrated effort. Like a year or two just focusing on
photography and "getting it down". Take some classes or read a bunch of
books. Or just put the time in.
Buy 20 pound bags of beans and rice and quit your day job.
Feel free to email me.
I'm sure you'd find other photo email sources as well.
Some are on the day shift. Some on the night.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/