Subject: [Leica] RE:You Do Make Backups, Don't You?
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Jun 22 22:23:41 2005

Nathan and Jim,
I ran in to that problem with backup programs with Windows95.
Remember? Microsoft included an excellent backup/restore program
(third party) but when they went on to Windows98 it no longer worked.
If you look it up in Microsoft's error log you can find the problem
and the cause "Cause: by design".

I just came back from Malawi and one of the departments there did an
excellent dictionary and backed it up. Now we were going to reuse it
... backed up in Windows95.

I think I have a 95 machine out in the garage. Otherwise, Jerry Lehrer
is still using it :-)

I haven't lost anything when it comes to data, not a single file. It
turns out that the disk I was working on when it happened was ok. I
just stuck it in a USB-cabinet and copied the files over to the new
machine.

I have USB disks and a lot of DVD's. Turns out that making DVD's on my
new computer goes about 5 times faster ... so I'll be sticking to RAW
with four rolls (4 gb compact flashes) on every DVD. It's painless
now. It was a burden before.

Best,
Daniel

Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] RE:You Do Make Backups, Don't You?)