Subject: [Leica] Bring Out the Negative Scanner
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jun 24 15:16:54 2005

Whether a PC or Mac circa 2025 will be able to read CD-R's is problematic.
What may happen has an analogy to 8mm movie film. I don't think 8mm or Super
8
projectors are being made now. You can still find 8mm cameras in flea
markets.
We can still access these films but at some expense and trouble.

That's why I suggest that we make good printouts on high quality papers of
our favorite image files. On subjects that I want to have a more permanent
record, I use a film camera so I can have a negative backup.

Which reopens a question: why doesn't one of the major camera outfits market
a high quality yet reasonable 35mm negative scanner? Kodak and Fuji and
Leica
should be in the lead. Nikon and Polaroid featured film scanners a few years
ago, but the market seemed to have lost its drive. That may be due to the
low
cost transfer of negatives to CD positives now.

If you have a good negative scanner, you can skip the CD-R and produce a
fresh print from the negative itself at any time, either digitally on in the
darkroom.

Bob R

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Bring Out the Negative Scanner)
Reply from khagler at orange-road.com (Ken Hagler) ([Leica] Bring Out the Negative Scanner)
Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Bring Out the Negative Scanner)
Reply from tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton) ([Leica] Bring Out the Negative Scanner)