Subject: [Leica] new Puts article
From: leicaluvr at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Mon Jun 27 18:53:36 2005

So, Henning, according to you I will get the same dof shooting the same
subject at the same distance and aperture with a 50mm on 35mm film as with
an 80mm on 6x6?

All of the confusion that creeps up when people talk about dof varying with
distance, focal length or format loses sight of the basic rule:  At the same
aperture and subject distance, dof remains the same as long as the
magnification ratio remains the same, i.e. dof remains the same so long as
image size at the focal plane remains the same.

Since image size at the film plane is smaller with smaller formats, i.e.
magnification ratio is smaller, dof is deeper.  (That's why a fixed focus
Minox 15mm 5.6 goes from 1m to infinity).  With larger formats, image size
at the focal plane is larger, i.e. magnification ratio is greater, so dof is
shallower.  (Again, assuming the same aperture and distance.)

Erwin is saying a smaller sensor is like a smaller format -- lower
magnification ratio, hence deeper dof at the same aperture and distance.  I
agree with him.

Tom Schofield