Subject: [Leica] new Puts article
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jun 28 10:13:25 2005

At 6:53 PM -0700 6/27/05, Tom Schofield wrote:
>So, Henning, according to you I will get the same dof shooting the same
>subject at the same distance and aperture with a 50mm on 35mm film as with
>an 80mm on 6x6?

Nope. It's more complicated than that. I'm just saying that if you
use a 50mm lens, your final print size is the same and your CoC
criteria are the same for both prints, then the print made from a
sensor/film that is smaller will require more stringent DoF decisions
when taking the picture.

>All of the confusion that creeps up when people talk about dof varying with
>distance, focal length or format loses sight of the basic rule:  At the same
>aperture and subject distance, dof remains the same as long as the
>magnification ratio remains the same, i.e. dof remains the same so long as
>image size at the focal plane remains the same.

... and the circle of confusion criteria remain the same.

>Since image size at the film plane is smaller with smaller formats, i.e.
>magnification ratio is smaller, dof is deeper.  (That's why a fixed focus
>Minox 15mm 5.6 goes from 1m to infinity).  With larger formats, image size
>at the focal plane is larger, i.e. magnification ratio is greater, so dof is
>shallower.  (Again, assuming the same aperture and distance.)
>
>Erwin is saying a smaller sensor is like a smaller format -- lower
>magnification ratio, hence deeper dof at the same aperture and distance.  I
>agree with him.

Certainly. It's just that 'a 50 is a 50' doesn't play for different
formats, as CoC criteria differ.

I guess you were responding to my other post.