Subject: [Leica] Information on the Summarit, from those who repair or have had one repaired?
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Tue Jun 28 06:50:07 2005

Hello again Vick and Gene:

I have just spoken with Ernst Hartmann, the service manager at Leica USA in
Northvale NJ about our colloquy. Gene, you are right: Ernst's comment is
that it is possible to reassemble the Summarit - and other Leitz/Leica
lenses - correctly, assuming the right tools and assuming meticulous care in
aligning each element perfectly, without collimating it.

That said, even with the highly trained technicians they have at Leica, they
always check on a collimator each lens they have serviced. It is the only
way they can be certain that there is no decentering and that the lens is to
factory tolerances and will meet its performance standard.

Seth