Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Jul 1 19:36:45 2005

On 7/1/05 4:56 PM, "Mike Durling" <durling@cox.net> typed:

> My understanding is that Getty has evaluated the results from the Nikon
> D2x (12mp) and approved images from that camera for submission.  So
> maybe there is hope for the DMR :)
>
> Mike D

I know nothing about stock so I hate to be looking like I'm going against
Tina who is of course involved with it intensely;
But I do recall skimming though stock stuff and some charge different prices
for different sized scans from an image. Some digital images taken perhaps
before the Canon Full frame was even invented on other DSLR's would have a
lower ceiling perhaps for sale as you're not going to use them for D?cor.
You're just going to have to use them for regular print work I.e. Magazines
and brochures and newspapers and flyers all from half tones separations
which had been done gleefully with a D1X and now A D2H and I bet plenty
doing it with the D2X
AT THE LOWER SETTING.
(you're not supposed to capitalize it's obnoxious and means your shouting)

The lower setting I believe is the same size of a chip area as the 4/3's
system Olympus E and others coming out.
Like your 50mm lens is now a 100mm lens.

So this full frame thing for stock just sounds bizarre to me.
Tell me it ain't true.

Sure there are stock agents who specialize in large format.
Or panoramic. Or you name it. Infrared. Hand colored. Pin holes or heads.

But to call "general work" (my term actually) stuff which needs to be done
with an 8 grand camera only produced by one company strikes me as beyond
shooting oneself in the foot. Not a thing I'm sure "Getty" who was a famous
rich guy built his empire on.

I'd love to know what the average rez or megapixels whatever you want to
call it, file size; is of the average use of the average stock image used.

I bet its on the small size. Minute even.
I close my eyes and think clip art with the full verisimilitude shading.
"Ah yes lets just slip a photo in there."
Just enough to swear by; the shadow of a shade.
tant soit peu a wee bit
Rather in some degree, in some measure; something, somewhat-
Much in common with a corpuscle. within bounds,
And with a minim of girth
Leaning towards the Diminutive
A member of the Minutiae.
well-nigh, short of, not quite, all but; near upon,

Where's Marc James Small when you need him!?

Perhaps someone will open a special stock agencies with images only taken
with digital point and shoots.
And are of the style which you see now a days in The FACE and Wallpaper and
any remotely hip magazine in  which they look like they were taken by your
next door neighbor with their point and shoot. And it went off by accident.
But they used it anyway because it was the only shot they got almost in
focus.

In other words anti professional photographs.
Photogs which look like out takes taken by the clueless.

You see a lot of that now a days.

Anti slick.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon)