Subject: [Leica] Speaking of medium format, I've picked up a 1954 Rolleicord...
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Jul 2 04:48:07 2005

Jim is right,

Bill Maxwell supplies the shims when you order the screen and tell him
what model you are  installing on.

I think it works out to the thickness of one slice of Scotch 3M Dynamo
tape (that's the shim he sends, actually).

I see Harry Fleenor is mentioned so I won't go on about that.

You don't _have_ to change screens. There is a cheap version too that
doesn't require shims:

http://tinyurl.com/97ah9

I've used it too on Rolleiflex 3.5E. It's not as good as the Maxwell,
but it costs 100 USD less. It's a _lot_ better than the original
ground glass screen (save it, even if you change it).

A neckstrap is critical. You can pick up just any nylon strap. You tug
down hard on it at slow shutter speeds, using your body as a monopod
(with two feet).

A shade/hood is highly recommended.

Put on a pair of rubber gloves (dish-washing gloves). Grab hold of the
part of the lens with "Xenar" and serial number written on it and try
and tighten it (clockwise). That front cell loves to come loose and
you'll never get a sharp picture if it does. Just get into a habit of
doing it now and then (couple times a year).

I love the little boxes. Here are some shots from when I first got mine:

http://www.dlridings.com/rolleicord.htm

More recent shots are spread all over. I just use them, almost every week.

You might want to join some of us:

Enjoy!
Daniel