Subject: [Leica] Speaking of medium format, I've picked up a 1954 Rolleicord...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jul 2 12:44:19 2005

On 7/2/05 10:55 AM, "Michael J Herring" <creativevisions@verizon.net> typed:

> Great camera and optics. Used one in the 1970s. Razor sharp.
>
> Mike

For decades it's been my opinion  that a used Rolleicord is the best deal
there is on photography buying. If one wants to give Ansel a run for his
money. Or Doisneau. As one could be easily be picked up for a song. Just a
few hundred bucks if that.
The glass if you got a good one apparently matched what you'd get in a
Rolleiflex. Maybe an element less but stopped down a few the difference
would be negligible, and that's in a large print.
But often you'd be able to score a Rolleiflex for next to nothing. They just
look like old cameras in someone attic sale. Can't wait to get rid of all
remnants of "good old dad".

Thing is in the past 5 years with digital DSLR mania and Canon mania and
full frame DSLR mania Hassy gear is out there in the glass counters where
I'm looking or on eBay I'm sure if that's where you look for a fraction of
their typical selling price. Just a few hundred bucks for a body or lens
when it used to be 4 figures. One could almost say they went down by a
decimal point.
New backs go for a about a grand.
Used 5 years ago 500 bucks.
Now closer to 100.
That's stretching it but not far from the point. The decimal point that is.
Ignore the one on my head that's a bad haircut.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/