Subject: [Leica] Alaska Trip
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Jul 2 21:14:52 2005

on 7/2/05 2:56 PM, jon.stanton@comcast.net at jon.stanton@comcast.net wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> The trip is incredible...once is not enough to get your fill.

I'll second that.  I spent six summers in Alaska and I could spend another
lifetime there and not get enough.

> First step is to buy a copy of the "Milepost"  http://milepost.com/   This
> guide is indisposable.

Agreed.

> Secondly...Make sure your vehicle is in peak condition ( I did the trip
> both
> times in my 92 Volvo...first time at 142k and the second time at 270k)

I did it in older cars too... the first had 200,00 miles on the odometer,
the second only 100,000 miles or so...  I don't know what the road's like
now but when I went it was 1,200 miles of gravel and mud.  A single spare
tire was all I needed, replaced one headlight, spent a few years chipping
mud off the bottom of the car.

> Ok...I
> pushed it! I carried 2 extra spares...real spares...no donuts. I carried
> extra
> fluids, lights, filters. I had the oil changed in Fairbanks....Note...I
> used
> half a quart on the return 3000 miles (great car). A CB or Ham radio might
> be
> a good idea....My cell was completely dead. This time I had Verizon...First
> time I had ATT which did provide limited coverage.
>
> I camped out...Call it car camping...2 man tent, Coleman stove, cocoa,
> water,
> coffee, oatmeal. The campgrounds in BC and YT were all clean and well
> maintained....fees were $8-$12 per night Canadian. In Alaska the average
> was
> about $15 a night....all the campgrounds had facilities....bathrooms,
> showers.

I went early and late in the season so all the camping was free.  The
weather was usually good enough that I could dry out the tent between
campgrounds.  Do not miss Liard Hot Springs.