Subject: [Leica] Alaska Trip
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (jon.stanton@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 2 14:56:52 2005

Hi Adam,

The trip is incredible...once is not enough to get your fill.

First step is to buy a copy of the "Milepost"  http://milepost.com/   This
guide is indisposable.

Secondly...Make sure your vehicle is in peak condition ( I did the trip both
times in my 92 Volvo...first time at 142k and the second time at 270k)
Ok...I pushed it! I carried 2 extra spares...real spares...no donuts. I
carried extra fluids, lights, filters. I had the oil changed in
Fairbanks....Note...I used half a quart on the return 3000 miles (great
car). A CB or Ham radio might be a good idea....My cell was completely dead.
This time I had Verizon...First time I had ATT which did provide limited
coverage.

I camped out...Call it car camping...2 man tent, Coleman stove, cocoa,
water, coffee, oatmeal. The campgrounds in BC and YT were all clean and well
maintained....fees were $8-$12 per night Canadian. In Alaska the average was
about $15 a night....all the campgrounds had facilities....bathrooms,
showers.

Happy to fill in more details off the Lug...  jon.stanton@comcast.net

Jon
Oly, WA