Subject: [Leica] looking for a lighter tripod
From: dnaplasmid at compwrx.com (Aram Langhans#2)
Date: Sat Jul 9 07:03:35 2005

I bought a Velbon Carmagne 630 about two years ago and have never
regretted it.  Carbon fiber is the way to go.  It is light, sturdy and
gets close to the ground with the three choices of leg angles.  It does
not have the lever releases on the legs, but the twist locks are fast as
I have learned to use them.  They may have different styles now, but I
would recommend the Velbon/Hiakua series highly.  Way cheaper than the
other carbon fibers and just as good as those that I have seen.  Don't
dismiss them because they are not the big names.  Lifetime warranty,
too.  I got a magnesium head, too, so the total weight is very
acceptable to my bad back.

Aram