Subject: [Leica] An interesting Appreciation
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Jul 9 19:53:59 2005

I have started to hang my photography at home for general viewing. It
has been down at our Arizona home but few people see the images there.

Now there is a wall of family and friends at one end of the dining
room (all black and white). On the facing wall is a 36" x 54" print of
this image:

<http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2005/05/19/_L3U2599.jpg>

(When it came time to print the image I toned down the saturation
quite a bit. It was printed on a big Epson inkjet)

So last Thursday my wife had a meeting at the house. One of those who
came is a film-maker and photographer who enjoyed the black and white
work, and in another room the cinnamon teal and black crowned
night-heron. His response to the large print, when I said it was mine,
was "oh, I didn't know you were a painter as well.

That, it turns out, is how people see that image - they see it as an
acrylic photo-realistic painting.

I only printed this image because my wife loved the shot and demanded
a "really big" version.

I THINK i'm pleased by this. On the other hand everyone has enjoyed
the photo and they feel the need to get up close to it to see the
little flowers in the foreground or the coast guard station in the
distance.

I have submitted this image to the California Coast Commission's
contest. I'm hopeful they will select it although perhaps, because it
is Point Reyes, and a National Seashore, they will not.

I know that I will be printing more images larger. It cost $180 to
print and $100 to mount the photo on alligator board. It is suspended
from behind and "floats" about an inch or so off the wall.

Thanks for listening to this small brag. Still, it was nice to have my
work enjoyed.

Adam

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] An interesting Appreciation)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] An interesting Appreciation)