Subject: [Leica] Re: More comments: how do you use your images
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Mon Jul 11 19:40:16 2005

Exactly. How many of us have seen a movie from the 1930's
(The Awful Truth, Philadelphia Story, Adam's Rib, etc.) and been
stricken by how "modern" the themes are?

When I first saw and studied these movies in Stanley Cavell's
course on "The Philosophy of Remarriage Commedies" (no kidding),
it rearranged my 21 year old's interpretation of cultural history :-)

Not alot of visual T&A, but plenty of thematic T&A, and competition,
and occasional violence, and infidelity and a delightful treatment of
the oh so human libido.

Imagine a beautiful nude of one's grandmother. We all didn't get here
via apple pies and apron strings alone :-)  My grandfather was broke
most of his entire life (1930's depression casualty), but he was quite
a dandy in his day, with his last red cent spent on a nice tie and top
coat.  When I see these pictures, the sheer vitality of it is thrilling to
me.

Scott