Subject: [Leica] Re: More comments: how do you use your images
From: robinson at sfsu.edu (Gib Robinson)
Date: Wed Jul 13 11:26:27 2005

I figured if I was going to say something about how I use images, I might
start by sharing some.

The comments below are about a sequence of photos I just posted in a folder
on Photo Net. They were all taken in the past six weeks. All the images
where taken with a 20D, mostly with Leica glass. Overall, I think they cover
what I generally photograph. Please take a look:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=511096

1, 15. If you live in a city like SF where the weather adds drama to
spectacular landscapes, what can you do but enjoy it and catch some of it on
film or digital? I've lived in the Bay Area since 1961. In fact, I bought an
M2 in 1965 when I thought I might have to leave the Bay Area to take a
teaching job elsewhere.

2. Daughter & friend. Family photos are common. My wife hates having her
picture taken. Daughter has mixed feelings. Upbraids me at the time, likes
them later. I love having them. So does my wife -- just not of her.

3. Bits of architecture in the city. I love exploring the forms of buildings
and seeing what they look like in 2D. I'm putting together images of the
city -- mostly not people but landscapes, buildings, murals, etc. for an
exhibit at some point.

4. Murals. There are lots to phograph in SF.

5. Skyline, SF.

6,7,8. These were part of a series I did during the recent sandpainting by
Tibetan monks at the SF Asian Art Museum. A set of photos went to the monks.
I love photographing people doing compelling things. This monk was a superb
subject. I have 15-15 prints I feel very good about.

9. My back yard. I'm still trying to figure out how good the 20D is with APO
glass. It's pretty good.

10, 11, 12. Rock cliffs at the beach in Marin County. The beach is at the
end of Tennessee Valley road in the Golden Gate Recreation Area. I walk
there with a friend at least once a week and I've started photographing it.
I love photographing the details of the rock because of the way in which
photographing helps me understand more about what's really there. I do a
good bit of macro work and lots more landscapes than I photographed in
June-July this year. I'll be in the Sierras for a week later this month.
I'll photograph a lot -- big vistas but lots of little stuff too. That's
where I learn the most about how our physical world is put together.

13. Flowers at the Farmer's Market. I've always loved photographing the
arrangements of fruits and vegetables at the farmer's market in SF. With
digital it's less expensive and easier to do on a regular basis.

14. Black-crowned Night Herron. If I have an obvious opportunity to
photograph birds, I like doing it. I often walk in Golden Gate Park and
during nesting season there are frequent opportunities to photograph birds
who don't move too quickly -- Red-Tailed Hawks, Great Blue Herrons. I don't
have Doug's patience (or talent) but I try not to pass up obvious
opportunities to watch and photograph wildlife. I have photographed the
nesting Blue Herrons for a local environmental education group and also
photographed their classroom visits and their wonderful bird calling contest
for kids. My images are scattered throughout the website
(http://www.sfnature.org/ ). When I couldn't photograph myself, I helped
them find subs.

16. Our German Shepherd pup (6 months then). Documenting family life is
important to me.

17-18. Bike camp. CSU campus in Santa Rosa hosts a bike camp to teach kids
to ride. Many kids with physical disabilities get a chance to learn without
getting hurt. I photographed the camp for the director and the engineer who
designed the equipment that makes the learning process safe. I photograph a
good bit for non-profits and try to help them use the images effectively to
raise $. I donate my services and often the processing costs as well. I try
to choose non-profits who would not ever hire a professional photographer
because the don't have the $.

19-20. Graduation at our daughter's school. A set of these photos (about 30)
go to the school and to the kids who graduate. At this point the school does
not have a professional photographer, so I do what I can.

21. Plant in large pot. I photographed a garden (about 15 images) for one of
our daughter's former teachers who has become a landscape gardener and asked
me to help her put together a portfolio.

That's it. Please look. I hope you enjoy.

--Gib

Replies: Reply from firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin) ([Leica] Re: More comments: how do you use your images)