Subject: [Leica] RE: Why Do I Take Pictures, etc.
From: jim.christie at sbcglobal.net (Jim Christie)
Date: Tue Jul 12 09:12:53 2005

Filix Lspez de Maturana wrote:

>> I am hoping to stimulate a bit more discussion on this topic: why do
>> you take the images, what do you do with them, how big do you print,
>> how do you print, why do you print etc

I have been following this thread for a number of days now and find the
answers very interesting and I finally challenged myself to put my own
thoughts in writing. Here they are:

I enjoy the challenge and experience of trying to make a picture that
pleases me. To please me, I want the picture to have beauty and balance. I
take mostly landscapes and I love blue skies and puffy clouds and colorful
foregrounds. I also like taking flower pictures that show the beauty and
grace of them (I just wish mine were as good as SonnyC's). I strive to
create a picture that I think would merit hanging on my wall or maybe even
being displayed in a magazine or winning a contest. (I've not tried for a
magazine yet, but I have won contests.) I also like to go on photography
workshops and trips, with my buddies from Reed's Camera in Walnut Creek. In
fact, we are going on a Leica/Germany tour in September and I am really
looking forward to this. I also enjoy vacation and family and friend
pictures at gatherings of all types. I take these for my own record of the
trip or event and then get a real kick out of my family and friends seeing
them and wanting copies. I also like to give my photographs (all types) as
gifts. My family and friends really seem to appreciate them.

I have used an Epson printer for a number of years and currently use the new
R1800. I'm very pleased with the service and quality of the machine. I'm
still trying to perfect the color calibration between my monitor and the
output - I'm very close, but not yet 100% exact (if that is possible). I
print for various reasons. If I'm working on a project, I usually print 8x10
to put in a portfolio. If it is a vacation or family event, I usually create
an 8x10 contact sheet and put 8 to 12 pictures on a sheet and then build a
portfolio of pictures and other material from the event. If the print (from
any source) is for hanging, I usually print 11x14.

Hope this wasn't too long or boring, but it helped me to put my thoughts in
order. - Jim Christie

Replies: Reply from firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin) ([Leica] Re: Why Do I Take Pictures, etc.)