Subject: [Leica] Re: Why Do I Take Pictures, etc.
From: firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Wed Jul 13 20:59:52 2005

Certainly not too long or boring: Its great to hear the crystalization of
thoughts.

When Helen I were to go to Europe 2 months ago, I agonized (as usual) about
what to take, but this time it was not because of the wealth of images I
expected to find, but rather the paucity. I ruled out colour: Europe I
decided is grey and dull :-) and I knew that I would have trouble taking
people: after all, they all look like me, overweight poorly dressed
westerners. Here in Australia, you can walk the streets of most cities and
towns and never see anyone outside a car (plenty of them), unless its an
"event". I'm sure visitors from Asia wonder if anyone lives here at all. I
expected Europe to be the same. I was right: most of the people images are
of people just walking to another indoor appointment. Little if anything
(other than street theatre and tourism) happens on the streets. So what
would I take.

Well we tend to focus on things we don't have at home, and therefore, in
Europe that means "old" man made things. So I have taken lots of buildings,
bridges, statues, art works etc. The only real "living" images are of
Graffiti. Slowly the images are coming together and I will present some here
when I finally begin scanning (I don't want to scan before printing for fear
of scratches and dust). I have tried to take something of the people and the
place, but I find it harder in "western" environments, where it all seems so
"ordinary", but there is beauty in the detail, and that's what I spent the 4
weeks looking for.

Enough ranting, back to work

Cheers