Subject: [Leica] My new pocket camera
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Thu Jul 21 01:28:53 2005

From: "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com>
To: <lug@leica-users.org>
Sent: 20 July 2005 23:27

> When I went to Keeble & Schucat to pick up some Rapid Fixer couple weeks
> ago, I jokingly said that I am moving backward in times, and I probably
> will do glass plates at some points. We had a good laugh... Last week, I
> picked up a good condition Olympus XA on EBay. I had one twenty some years
> ago and stopped using it only because the rewind crank broke. Always miss
> having a small camera that doesn't need much juice, on "immediately," and
> allow manual controls.
>
> Took a roll of Tri X and it seems to work just fine. Only problem is that
> the pictures do not have that Leica punch :-) but then at $50 vs. $5000, I
> guess it's much better than 1% as good :-)

-----------

Richard,

I have been using an XA lately:
Olympus XA : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05207.htm

Comparisons don't mean much by the time shots get to the web but I shot the
following scenes twice and I was pleased with the XA.
Leica M2 : 50mm DR Summicron : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05212.htm

Olympus XA : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05213.htm

Leica M2 : 50mm DR Summicron : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05210.htm

Olympus XA : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05211.htm

As you say, better than 1% :-)