Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Sat Jul 23 05:15:28 2005

images@infoave.net (Tina Manley) wrote:

>I think I'm
>just
>going to shut down the big computer and wait until I can get somebody
>help me with it.  The more I mess with it, the worse it gets.

Tina,

As I promised, I passed your information by several of my parishioners,
three, to be exact, who are knowledgable.

They all responded:

1.  It is NOT the hard drives.

2.  It MAY be the power supply, but very unlikely, since a faulty power
supply would show up with other symptoms.

3.  It is probably what used to the called the IDE controller, which is
located on the motherboard.  (I don't know what it's called now.)  You
can check your documentation and find out what version you have on your
motherboard.  There are, apparently, some known glitches with Windows XP
and certain controllers.

4.  It is "simply" a matter of replacing the controller chip, and that
is generally not a big problem, if there aren't any other problems.

FWIW, I had the same problem several years ago with an IBM laptop.  It
ate the hard drive, and at first I thought the hard drive itself was
bad, but my computer tech (who has now retired), knew better.

Now, the immediate problem is getting somebody to do this for you.  I'll
see if I can help further on this.

Peace,

Ken
--