Subject: [Leica] We had company
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Jul 26 01:11:34 2005

Thanks, Oliver.

Digital is a lot like slides.  There's no such thing as "whiter than
white."  Once you hit the brightest value, that's it.  So you have to
expose so that the highlights don't blow.  The camera's "ESP" metering did
a good job of that.  Then I brought the shaded face up by boosting the
midtones in Picture Window Pro.  I could only go so far before it started
to look very unnatural.  I've worked on the image again tonight, and got
good results combining two different RAW developments of it.

The E-1 has Center-weighted, Spot, and ESP ("pattern") metering.  Spot
metering the girl's face would not have helped in this case, as it would
have blown out the reflections on the metal.  Color neg film would forgive
that sort of thing, digital would not.

--Peter