Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIF ?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu Jul 28 10:06:29 2005

Bill Smith wrote:
> I've noticed that several of you use the subject camera. I need a
> companion to my Model P Canon. I've thought about a IIIG, but it's too
> damn expensive or a M 2/ 3, but all my lenses are LTM and I hate to fool
> w/ an adapter. I could go "Russian" (Fed 2, etc) but the quality issues
> scare me off.
>
> Do you find the IIIF user-friendly?
>
> What do you suggest? Is the red dial III superior to the black one?
>
> Also has anyone ever tried Nikon AI/ AI-s lenses w/ an adapter like Mr.
> Gandy sells on your IIIF? I've got a sweet 20/4  AI and beautiful AI-s 28/
> 3.5 that might work.

Bill,

I am very fond of my IIIf - as is obvious from my postings - but I was
looking
for something specific. I wouldn't use a IIIc because I find having that
far-seperated a pair of windows too much of an inconvenience in daily use,
but
nor is a IIIf ideal for action photography! I also find a IIIf with a good
lens
a jewel-like work of art, and with LTM there is a huge variety of lenses
avialable and some like the Canon 50 are remarkable, as are the CV lenses.

At the end of the day look around and see what you like for yourself. The
web in
general and Steve Gandy's Cameraquest in particular give a huge window on
the
LTM world, but find what YOU like and then go and try it in a good dealer
and
don't be afraid to pay a little extra for a good service guarantee from a
dealer.

And don't forget there is always CV as an alternative, including the more
modern
Bessas.

Good luck,

Peter Dzwig