Subject: [Leica] howard dean
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jul 30 22:08:57 2005

brad daly asked:

>>> i think i'll be photographing while a print reporter is
> doing an interview.  any tips?  i'll, of course, be using my trusty- dusty
> and quiet M6.<<<

Hi Brad,
I see Don Dory has pretty well answered your question along the line I
would've. However, let me add a couple of things that might also be helpful.

If you have the good fortune to have a reporter with you the key moments of
expression will be when Mr. Dean is listening to the reporter asking
questions, not answering the questions.

Yes sometimes you can get a good picture while the interviewee is speaking,
but the chances are it'll screw-up his mouth or facial expression more than
create a solid moment of a worth while picture.

Besides we as humans hear with our ears... but visually we listen wih our
eyes and facial expression, so that's why I say be ready and camera at your
eye while the questions are being asked. Then keep it there as he
speaks..... just in case.

If you have more than one body definetly go with them all, then you don't
have to fool around changing film or lenses, makes your part quicker and
quieter with no fuss nor muss. Or worse, accidently dropping a roll of film
or lens on the floor during the interview. ;-) Bad move! :-(

If you have any chance to arrange where he will sit, set it for you to be on
the shadpw side if at all possible. I don't know if you have any of my books
and if you do let me know soonest which one and I can direct you to a page
that illustrates the "shadow side perfectly" as that's my most motivating
light situation. In other words the main light is at a 45 degree angle from
where you are sitting. Yes sit! And at a level where you and camera are at
eye level to Mr. Dean!

This is definately not the time to go artsy fartsy angles! :-) You want good
solid clean facial's without eye contact to the camera, so that means if you
have no choice where to sit, then be near the reporter asking the questions.
Slightly to the side and not right over his shoulder.

A 90mm lens should be fine.and I'd have a 50mm as a back-up just in case.
But I think you'll do fine with the 90mm. If you have the M 135 take it
also. You see all of these lens suggestions are to cover yer butt because
you're walking into a totally un-known location and light situation.

Also how bright his "handlers are" in how much freedom you'll have with him
or where they'll let him sit etc.

>>> also, a friend who is a huge howard dean fan has pleaded with me to
> get him an autograph.  would it be totally gauche for someone working  as
> a journalist to ask for an autograph?<<<<

This is something you'll have to do by your gut feeling more than rule of
thumb. In my case I've never asked for an autograph from anyone,
particularly political folks as I've never really been in attendence as a
"fan!" Not that you are or maybe or what ever. So that's why I say, play it
by ear and your gut feelings and if he seems comfortable and not pressed for
time go for it. Besides politicians are all hams anyway! ;-) So he'll
probably be only too happy. But have a pen and paper right handy so all he
has to do is sign it!

I trust you find this helpful
ted

Replies: Reply from brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly) ([Leica] howard dean)