Subject: [Leica] How do you meter expousure for negative colour film?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jul 31 09:48:20 2005

C-41 materials are remarkably tolerant to gross exposure errors.  You
can get a printable image (akin to  surveilance videos) at three stop
underexposure and the same at as much as five stops overexposure.  For
good image quality the latitude is probably minus 2 to plus 3 stops.

As you underexpose the shadows become very muddy and the overall image
becomes flat and "grainy".  As you overexpose colors at first become
more saturated and grain effects get smaller.  However, as you reach
the limits of overexposure contrast starts to drop precipitously and
colors start to lose saturation.  Other effects include muddy colors
and strange color shifts.

As to metering and the image you want, you just have to use the tools
that you have and test the materials that you want to use.  As a very
general rule, C-41 color materials generally benefit from a one stop
overexposure with little loss of hightlight detail.  It may be that
for your work, a lot of detail in the hightlights and very little
detail in the shadows fits the bill.  YMMV

Don
don.dory@gmail.com