Subject: [Leica] A digital sensor is just another type of film
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 2 22:02:35 2005

Dear Colleagues,

Brett Weston had to destroy his negatives to maintain the value of his
prints. It was the only way he could assure the buyer of the one of a kind
value of
his acquisition. That says something about the significance of negatives.
Their permanence. Their ability to regenerate fresh prints. Their
incontrovertible
reference for the original scene. Their physicality.

What I find odd in our thinking is the notion that film is limited and labor
and time intensive. Therefore, we should consign film to obsolescence. Yet
we
could all return to our film Nikons and still practice digital photography
without missing a beat. Long before I bought my first digital I scanned my
favorite film prints as they came from the processor and made them into
image files.
And I still have their negatives. Sometimes I think a sensor is just another
type of film.

Bob

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] A digital sensor is just another type of film)
Reply from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] A digital sensor is just another type of film)