Subject: [Leica] Kid Pix
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Aug 9 16:56:56 2005

On 9 Aug 2005 at 16:28, Richard wrote:

> Good pic, but have you checked the white and black points? The dynamic
> range seems to be compress a bit, e.g. looking a bit greyish. I bet there
> is more data in the pic.

There is, but I compressed the scale deliberately to get the midtones
where I wanted them... going for more of a soft vintage feel.  I've
always loved platinum prints and I'm trying for something along that
line on the computer since I have neither the time nor the money to
do them for real.  (Fiberbase enlargements, yes. Platinum/palladium,
no.)

It's a scan direct from an FP4 neg and I haven't gotten the hang of
getting decent scans from the silver films without enough grain to
choke a herd of horses...  I usually do wet prints first and scan
from those, and I suspect I'll wind up doing that here, too.

(and, not to ignore your question,  my meter for "good enough" is
calibrated on Salgado, the Westons, Paul Strand, John Sexton, and
similar beings.  If you're gonna fall short, fall short of something
VERY long.)--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Kid Pix)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Kid Pix)