Subject: [Leica] B.D., How Harsh You Are
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Aug 11 14:10:48 2005

No intention to cut to the quick or anywhere else, Walt...:-)
And, let's keep in mind that I have been a vociferous long-time advocate of
digital printing. I used an Epson 1160 and Cone quadtone inks for years, and
then switched to the latest HP system. I am convinced, in fact, that the HP
printers can produce black and white prints that are "as good as" - in fact
are virtually indistinguishable from - custom RC prints. I love the look of
good digital prints. And I certainly love the freedom from chemicals and the
messiness of the darkroom, from the time required to produce a wet print,
and from the repetition required to reprint a negative using the wet
process.

All of that said, however, I do not for a minute think that the final
product - the print - is "better" if produced digitally. Digital and wet
prints are equally good, but generally "different."