Subject: [Leica] B.D., How Harsh You Are
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 11 17:00:15 2005

B. D. Colen offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] B.D., How Harsh You Are

> All of that said, however, I do not for a minute think that the final
> product - the print - is "better" if produced digitally. Digital and wet
> prints are equally good, but generally "different."<<<<

Hi B.D.,
And this is what digital and film are all about...

>>Digital and wet prints are equally good, but generally "different."<<<<

However, there are far too many people who constantly draw the comparison
that one is better than the other. It's a no-brainer they are different and
to each his own. If people just did their own thing and are as happy as
gophers in heat with the results they achieve, well great! But stop
comparing them!

But why do we see this same old nonsense of one supposedly being better than
the other is an absolutely stupid comparison waste of time. Making wet tray
prints is a completely different routine and I have no problem with it given
the years of experience under all kinds of conditions.

And despite "playing with a digital printer and inks and getting what I
consider very good prints for a few years now, I'm still a neophyte at
producing "smashing great Epson 2200 B&W prints" from the same negative
previously printed in a tray. It's coming, but we're not quite there yet.

However, I know a skilled digital printer would blow me out of the water.
Some day I will do that myself as I've done with wet tray prints.

But I didn't produce mind blowing 16X20 exhibition wet prints in the first 5
or 6 years, nor do I expect to do so with the 2200, but heck it's not worth
comparing print to print as they're completely different animals.

But in both cases, wet or digital they will look different no matter how
skilled one becomes.

Just as you say. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] B.D., How Harsh You Are)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] B.D., How Harsh You Are)