Subject: [Leica] Kirkland Paper
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Ben Marks)
Date: Fri Aug 12 07:11:34 2005

I've been printing B&W prints with Kirkland glossy paper from Costco for
about six months now using a HP 7690 and their grey/black carts.  There has
been a noticable fade towards yellow/green in the B&W images I have had
sitting on a mantlepiece in our living room (no direct sunlight, prints
unframed).  Similar prints on HP's top of the line glossy paper have had no
fading at all that I can see.  As much as I hate to say it, the combination
of ink and paper really does matter.  I would caution all of those expecting
some sort of image stability from ink-jet prints to test carefully under
display conditions (particularly with the inks being as expensive as they
are).

I should say that the HP 7690 (I think there is a newer model now) with HP
papers produces prints out of the box which rival what I can produce on
glossy RC paper in the darkroom.  I am still able to produce silver FB
prints superior to inkjet . . . to my eye at least. Now can I get proficient
before the next change in "fashion" produces technical obselescence with my
current computer/OS/printer/scanner?>  ARRRG!