Subject: [Leica] Was OH NO!....Now, lens characteristics...
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Aug 15 18:32:01 2005

Ken,
First, under normal circumstances, newer has better contrast, more
apparent resolution, and far less flare.  Also, the newer lenses will
have a far more abrupt transitions from in focus to out of focus.

The Summar, Summarit, Summicron are all double Gauss designs so will
share family similarities.  Again, the older will have a smaller zone
of sharpness at any given aperture, more flare, and an apparent dreamy
quotiant as you move to the out of focus areas.

The Elmar is essentially a Tessar design so if coated fairly flare
resistant, really quite sharp at middle to small apertures, almost no
distortion.  Age has treated theses with unkindness so a good cleaning
will make the old pups much better.

The Summarit is an interesting abberation.  It resolves coarse details
OK at the larger apertures but turns into a pretty good lens by F5.6
or so.  Flare can be a real problem without a shade.  What makes the
Summarit truly interesting is how it renders the out of focus areas
when at or near wide open.  Sometimes you can get a real Van Gogh
look.  Under the right conditions the Noctilux will behave similarly.

Don't succomb to this disease.  Go out and shoot film.  If you are for
some reason in a shop and see a bright shiny bauble, leave
immediately: go and shoot some pictures.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com