Subject: [Leica] RE: New Posting
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Aug 16 22:34:56 2005

On 8/16/05 6:12 PM, "Norm Aubin" <puff11@comcast.net> typed:

> Don,
>
> Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I see what you are saying regarding the
> flowers, and the timing of the light on the arches.  I'll try and remember
> that as I do future images.  In some ways it's harder with a 35mm; with a
> 4x5 you spend so much time looking and thinking that those things
> eventually
> come into your conscious thinking, with a 35mm it's to easy to see and
> shoot, without the thinking . . .  I gotta slow down and look, then look
> again . . .
>
> Thanks again, this helps.
>
> Norm

Shooting in a gamut of formats is surprisingly helpful because if you say
are basically a 35mm shooter but then you spend the weekend shooting 4x5
next time you pick up your Leica you're going to be less wasteful with your
shooting. And in a good ways when we shoot 35mm we invariably go though long
periods when we get really just too sloppy and it  would be good size up our
shots more. Work with a tripod. Take spot readings. Shoot slow film. Bracket
densities and focusing. Things we do in 4x5 much of it because of the
tripod.
They should make a finder in which we see up side down like in 4x5 view
cameras and other sheet film.
This forces us to see the shot for the shapes in the composition. And not be
so caught up in the twinkle in their eye.

But of course 4x5 need not be groundglass or tripods as there are the press
cameras. Speed graphics and Linhof Techniques. But those make as formalize
are shooting anyway.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon