Subject: [Leica] Memory card write speeds
From: vze2myh5 at verizon.net (Stan Yoder)
Date: Thu Aug 18 16:04:11 2005

Earlier this week, there was a discussion of card vs. digicam write speeds,
asking whether it was
worth investing in a card that can write faster than the camera does.

I conducted an empirical test with my Digilux-2. I ascertained from
Panasonic that its max write
speed is 2.3mb/sec.

A 1gb SD card will hold c.91 RAW exposures in the D-2. That's about 10.75mb
per exposure.

Doing the math, it should take the camera c.4.67secs. to write a RAW
exposure to any card that has a
write speed of 2.3mb/sec or greater.

My actual results: 1) with a basic card it took about 11 secs for the camera
to clear for the next
exposure; 2) with a Sandisk Ultra II card it took 6.5secs. The Ultra II
writes at 9mb/sec., per
Sandisk's website.

Obviously I'm missing some factors) here. What are they?

And would one of the new-fangled 150x cards reduce the time further, in this
context?

Puzzled,
Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh