Subject: [Leica] #280
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Aug 20 19:02:10 2005

Ric,
Jumping in here, but the Summitar and the Summicron are very similar
lenses.  The Summitar will be a little sharper in the center but drops
off much more quickly as you move out to the corners.  This holds true
at all apertures.  Wide open I think the Summicron will give you a
much smoother image.  Filters are also much easier to deal with as
they are the garden variety 39mm.

So, if you have a functioning Summitar, keep it as it is a good
picture taker.  If you have a functioning Summicron, keep it and use
it as it will deliver a slightly better image: this is assuming a
first version Summicron, if you have a DR or a IV then the softer look
at the wider apertures may be a paint brush you want to try.

If you shoot in the F8-F12.5 range then with the exception of flare
all things are functionally equal.

Please don't pick up my virus, spend your money on film and processing
and possibly some green filters. :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com