Subject: [Leica] leica branded lenses
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Aug 26 21:04:17 2005

I have to agree that marketed (features/"right" premium pricing) properly,
that the Leica lenses for Canon/Nikon bodies would sell very, very well.

A good portion of the whole "serious amateur" crowd would swing for
one lens or two depending upon their photographic habits. A fantastic
wide, a classic 50/2 or 50/1.4, or a nice 100mm portrait length lens. The
macro crowd would likely wake up to one of the Leica lenses as well.
And so on and so forth.

Pro folks (far fewer of them) would behave similarly in certain categories
of professional photo activity.

I know zip about Canon bodies, but the manual focus "chipped" lenses
for Nikon bodies would do the trick. AF need not be that important.

I imagine Leica could partner with Sigma for whatever technology and/or
licensing is required for compatibility with Canon/Nikon bodies. This is old
hat for Sigma.  Of course, the glass and brand would be Leica.

In Nikon's lens lineup, I find their are definite "holes."  Most noteworthy
to me is an appropriate lens for portrait photography that feature the right
lens signature and working distance. Nikon could fill the "hole" by making
a 60-70mm prime lens with the signature of a 105/2.5 or their AF 105/2 -
but so far they haven't done it.  A world class 35/1.4 or so would also fill
the "hole" for a great normal lens.  (Actually, Sigma has a new 30/1.4
offering to fill this niche). But instead, Nikon seems focused on producing
more and more zoom lenses.

Just another interesting product niche for world class Leica lenses in the
Nikon lens lineup.  I imagine their are some similar "holes" in Canon's
lens lineup for their "DX" APS-C sensor bodies.

World of possibilities here.  An arena where Leica can actually be
competitive the the SLR and DLSR markets.

Scott