Subject: [Leica] ... a step towards recovery
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sat Aug 27 05:35:03 2005

I went to the local used camera store yesterday to see what was there,
and to ask about their policy to sell cameras on consignment.  I am a
bit disappointed with the 'bay, resulting in poor bids for items that I
thought would be snapped up by some wealthy Japanese collector looking
for my beautiful M's with just the right serial numbers and unique
design variation.  But instead, I'm getting bids of 50% of what I bought
them for.  But that's another story.

So, I'm in the camera store, and there it is - a beautifully tight and
nice condition DS M3 with very nice condition collapsible Summicron 50.
And the "bottom dollar" price is not bad.  So - the mental math kicks in
- they've been selling at this price on the 'bay recently, it's sitting
right here, no delivery hassles, no "out of the box" surprises of "mint
isn't really mint".  The feel of the camera is lovely buttery smooth and
gears are that legendary Leica magically tight yet smooth, the hand goes
to the wallet.

Then, I stop.

The realization is, I'm trying to sell an M3 and an M2, I don't need a
DS M3, the bottom plate is a bit too scuffed up, I didn't bring a
penlight to do a lens examination.

...and I leave the store with a polite "thank you for showing me the
camera, it sure looks like a nice one..."

Regards,

Vick Ko