Subject: [Leica] What would you do if wifey dropped your MP?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sat Aug 27 05:23:13 2005

It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood).

Closest I've had is my darling 4-year old son lovingly fondle the front
surface of some lenses, but then, he sometimes helps me repair cameras.
He can do simple RF re-alignments, but reassembling iris blades still
frustrates him.... ;-)

So - after the impact and realization of the potential damage?

First, I'd sigh.

Second, say - "Oh, it's alright.  I'll try some shots with it to see if
it's okay.  I'll find another lenshood on ebay", followed by hug and
kiss.

Third, I might celebrate that "the lens is now a keeper.   I don't have
to think about ever selling it to recover the cost (I was going to use
the term "investment", but after trying to sell two very nice M's
recently, "investment" is not associated with previous Leica purchases
any more, no more than my NORTEL shares)

Fourth, test shoot the camera to see if it is still all okay.

Fifth, search ebay for weeks, finding a more rare, more desirable
version of the lens, then look for a body for the lens (you can't just
buy a lens, where would it sit?), then read the LUG threads to realize
that the lens went through three optical modifications since the one I
have and before, all with unique image signatures.  So now, start
looking for each of the lenses, and find that there were engraving
difference, gotta have each one ....

... the obsession continues.....

Regards,

Vick Ko