Subject: [Leica] What would you do if wifey dropped your MP?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Aug 27 14:39:12 2005

Rick Dykstra asked:
> What would you do?
> As she climbed  out of the Landcruiser to open the garage door, with too
> many things  in her hands, the bag slipped and landed on the concrete.
> There was  this crunchy noise.
>
> "Was that my camera bag?"
> "Yes."
>
> Fortunately (?) it landed on the lens and the only visible damage was  to
> the hood.  It was cracked and shattered from absorbing the  impact.  I've
> just spent the afternoon with jewelers' screwdrivers,  tweezers and
> super-glue putting all of the tiny pieces back  together.  It works and
> now adds a certain panache to the MP's look.
>
> Some of my options today have been to:

> "It's alright. It's only plastic and metal.  And a few pieces of  glass.
> Incredibly expensive, exotic and exquisitely assembled glass,  but in the
> end, just glass."<<<<<<<<

Hi Rick,
This would be my re-action, swallow hard! Your wife is far more important
than a bloody camera you can buy a dozen of them if you have the money. If
you don't? What the hell you don't need a dozen anyway! ;-)

And if you have it "replacement insured," I assume you have, therefore it's
a no cost loss. And I bet you can't right now buy a new wife who's tended to
you through your griping, bitching and complaining all we husbands do for no
reason at all? ;-)

Just give her a hug, a pat on the butt, smile and say, "hey it's OK dear,
things happen!" And for heaven sake smile! Because you already know she is a
complete emotional wreck inside even if she's not shedding a tear or so. Why
make her feel any worse?

Put things away, forget the lens shade, what hell most of them don't work
anyway and if you want to  replace it Leica charge way toooooooo much for
new. Just straighten out the old and or throw it away, some day you'll find
another in a used photo store for a few bucks. :-)

I know you realize "shit happens" for all of us and there's nothing you can
do about it, most of the time.  And if we create it ourselves OK what the
heck bang yer head against a brick wall. ;-)

Pick-up the pieces don't worry about it, try the camera and if its working
that's certainly cool! But look at it positively.... "HEY IT DIDN'T GET
WRECKED AFTER ALL!"  smile and be glad! :-)

So get yer butt out the door and start shooting things! :-)

ted