Subject: [Leica] Jeffery is OK/ answering JB
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Aug 31 16:17:11 2005

John,
I  beg to contradict you, that was not a snide remark, far from it. I
have friends and colleagues  out there too, mostly evacuated from the
GofM rigs by chopper.
If I hadn't been in hospital last week I might even have been out doing
some bore-hole logging on one of them.

The news today showed the first military trucks taking people out of the
superdome, I reckon about 20  people per truck at the most..
There are Marine bases within hours of the area, it would be better news
if THEY were there with more appropriate equipment!!
Those 6x6 trucks can only wade to a max. of about 4 to 5 feet, wheeled
vehicles are at an enormous disadvantage anyway when there is debris
under water.
The smaller trucks they showed have even less wading capacity, the big
APCs are fully amphibious and not limted to roads.

I always find it absolutely sickening that the military forces around
the world , which have the most advanced rescue and recovery equipment,
are always the last to get to a disaster area.
If my country (the UK) can get an ROV to rescue a few Russian
submariners within 12 hours then how come other equipment can't be
deployed in a disaster area just as fast.
The Coast Guard / Lifeboat service / Helicopter Medics are always there
days before - This is not a US problem this is global,

This catastrophe is the worst thing I've seen since the Asian Tsunami,
and the slowest total reaction time of the people who have the right
equipment, a standard chopper can only carry
about 10 people at the most, with fallen masts and wires all over the
place they can't even land, and winching people up is so time consuming
that fuel becomes a problem on every operation.
APCs,ARVs (Armoured Recovery Vehicles), Landing Craft, Air Cushion
Vehicles (Hovercraft) are the stuff to get people out.
Military deployment is always fast - why can't they be just as fast here.

Douglas