Subject: [Leica] Jeffery is OK/ answering JB
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Aug 31 17:39:54 2005

Getting the ROV to the Russian submariners was a non-trivial evolution
that had been PLANNED for in detail buy the combined
submarine-operating services. They were lucky that only the minimal
response had been required. Getting a DSRV onto the site would have
taken a lot longer and would be much more difficult. And all of that
is because the scenerio is one which can be planned for and which
experts from the various nations meet together and talk about these
things. Yes, even the Russians, finally. And the Chinese too.

There was a lot of Navy response to the tsunami because there were
vessels in the area due to the war on terrorism operations so there
was an aircraft carrier that could operate off-shore.

But the military doesn't routinely PLAN for these kinds of rescue
evolution. It's not their primary mission.

No one plans for things like this - the submergance of a city is not
common. Could the EU do better if, say, Venice sank? I don't think so.

It's frustrating to watch this and we all have movie-bred expectations
of how quickly resources can be put on task. I don't know where those
amphibious vehicles are kept, or if they are loaded onto ships, and
how ready to steam the ships are - it just takes TIME. The Marine
Corps vehicles might be on the Atlantic or down in Texas - or even on
the west coast. it's not like they are staged, ready to roll. And the
ships to carry them may have maintenance operations going on that need
to be finished before they can set to sea.

It's just a difficult problem and it's NOT that the military doesn't
want to respond.

Adam bridge

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Jeffery is OK/ answering JB)
Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Jeffery is OK/ answering JB)