Subject: [Leica] Jeffery is OK/ answering JB
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Sep 1 14:02:53 2005

At 01:20 PM 9/1/05 +0200, Paul wrote:

>As I understand it, in the US each state has it's National Guard which
>would normally be responsible for this kind of thing. Problem is, as
>Sonny pointed out, someone decided they'd be best placed to fulfil
>their duties by sitting in sandbagged tents in Iraq.

Each state in the US also has a State Guard who are supposed to take over
the National Guard's civil defense and security functions when the Guard is
mobilized;  for instance, during the Second World War, State Guard units
patrolled bridges and railway crossings and the like and provided civil
disaster relief as well as anti-looter duty during the Detroit race riots.

State Guard personnel are normally retired military or police types, along
with a number of medical sorts.  (In some states, obtaining a license as an
LPN or RN automatically signs you up in that State Guard.)

I have heard nothing about the State Guard being employed.in the current
problem.  I do know that most of the National Guard units in the rest of
the US are not being mobilized:  there are very few Virginia Army National
Guard folks in either Iraq or Afghanistan, and the State announced today
that there would be no mobilizations for Katriona duty.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505