Subject: [Leica] OT NOLA Katrina
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Sep 1 18:27:54 2005

At 08:02 PM 9/1/2005, you wrote:
>  This isn't news to anyone who lives here in the US. I don't think the word
>"spoiled" accurately or helpfully characterizes the unique
>conditions, "plight" if
>one is generous, of this underclass.
>Scott

What unique conditions?  No money, no job, no education, no
infrastructure?  All of that is present in rural Honduras and most
developing countries.  The poor in the US are the most privileged
poor in the world.  I have seen families with absolutely nothing,
who, through the strength of their work ethic, have managed to get
ahead and support themselves and their extended families. I don't
think anybody who hasn't worked in developing countries can possibly
understand the obstacles that those people overcome.  There are
people who care and work to succeed and there are people who depend
on others to rescue them when they inevitably fail.  So far, what
I've seen in New Orleans are the latter.  I'm sure there are plenty
of the former, too, but they are not being covered by the
media.  From what I've seen, I'd bet on rural Honduras any day.  In
fact, I'm looking for land there now!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] OT NOLA Katrina)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] OT NOLA Katrina)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] OT NOLA Katrina)
Message from paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul) ([Leica] OT NOLA Katrina)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] OT NOLA Katrina)