Subject: [Leica] OT NOLA Katrina
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Sep 1 18:47:03 2005

Look. I've discussed English literature with unemployed folks
in Turkey. I've dined in the homes of un or underemployed former
govt. workers  in Ukraine (also, a now a largely criminal culture).

Here in the US, we have a multi-generational, violent, pretty well
armed and mostly ethnic permanent underclass (black and hispanic,
for the most part). Simple comparisons to the poor in other countries
don't help to explain why our underclass is the way it is -  namely
well armed, pissed off and in any case, rather violent.

And neither does the word "spoiled."  We had riots in Georgetown
and Adams Morgan here in Wash, DC back in '90 or 91', presumably
because it was just too darned hot. Go figure. Whatever.

Why might El Salvadoran imigrants in parts of the US behave more
violently  than poor El Salvodaran's in their own country?  Don't know,
I'm no demographer or sociologist. But it seems to be very much the case.
And we need to get a handle on it, and do something about it, or doom
ourselves
to watch re-runs of "Cops" for the rest of our lives.

As much as anyone, I'd like to see the US's apparently unique underclass
disappear from our landscape - demographic,  political and criminal.  How
to make  that happen, I haven't the chutzpah to hazard a guess.

To put it back on topic, somewhat, maybe, like Eugene Richards, shooting
them on film may help elucidate the situation.  Don't really know.

Scott