Subject: [Leica] FW: Photojournalists Covering Katrina Fall Victim To Growing Violence, Chaos
From: zoeica1 at yahoo.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri Sep 2 05:39:59 2005

The Ward Gangs in N.O. are heavily armed, always have been. We're talking
AK-47s, Uzis, etc. They do not care for human lives. Even before this
photographers would be risking their lives going into project areas. I've
seen coroner photos for years in New Orleans.

It's not worth it to risk your life down there. Though I feel sorry for the
vast majority of poor still stuck in New Orleans, these project people are
not worth it. Just like in Iraq, the only way to get rid of insurgency is to
kill them, or get out and save yourself.

Even the NOPD friends I know would kill them given the chance. And these are
black friends saying this.

Chris
New Orleans

Scott McLoughlin <scott@adrenaline.com> wrote:
I wonder if the Toronto and NYT jounalists were shooting discrete MP's
and Noctilux (on topic - see) if they could have avoided police
violence. For
that matter, I wonder why with all the looting and gun violence going on
why
police would have wasted their time with lone journalists wielding just
a simple
camera of any stripe?

Maybe FEMA should issue a warning to photo journalists and other press
personel to avoid dangerous, armed roaming police personel at all costs.
Sheesh, what a miserable country we live in - or so I'm sometimes led to
think. My Ukrainian g'friend pretty much hates it here, and I defend this
country to teeth. I'm gonna have a field day tomorrow when I see her.
Can't help it, I'm crying here.

Scott