Subject: [Leica] MDigitall
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 3 09:25:41 2005

Bob R offered:

> I'd be using the LCD Viewer in the MDigital for close-up work. That would
> revolutionize the M rangefinder camera for all time. Until the advent of
> the LCD
> viewer, we had to use all sorts of additional equipment, like the BOOWOO,
> Leicaslide, Visoflex. In one fell swoop an MDigital with a large LCD
> Viewer makes
> the M an ideal CU camera, up there with the best of the reflexes.
>
> Also, we could use an array of longer lenses with the M for telephoto
> work.
> The MDigital would be a truly revolutionary camera. <<<<<<<<

Bob,
A couple of things regarding this.

First of all there are no "long lenses... IE: 280-350' 400's made for an M
body digital or otherwise. Unless there's something using the visoflex.
Which quite frankly I always considered a pain in the butt instead of using
an SLR.

Actually I never consider all those funny named things you use.. IE...
 >>BOOWOO, Leicaslide, Visoflex.<<<< of anything more than gizmo's from the
'30's before SLR's were made, figuring if one where really serious about
shooting they'd use an SLR without all the mickey mouse gadgets..

I suppose the screen might be alright for some longer glass in fixed
situations nothing moving or about to move, however I can't imagine using it
to shoot sports or other action type photography trying to look at the
screen and follow focus a runner or diver because your eye wouldn't be
locked right in a viewfinder. But seeing the whole surrounding area as well
and in bright sunlight? Totally useless!

The other thing considering lenses for the M at the moment, they really
don't focus as close as SLR macro's or some other short lenses. So unless
Leica produced closer focusing glass for the M digital,  what you say is
hardly worth considering when a much better job can be done with the R8-9 or
previous R bodies.

I don't doubt you'll challenge this. ;-)

ted