Subject: [Leica] Leica MDigital
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Sat Sep 3 12:44:40 2005

Weight, bulk, cost of an LCD? Anything that is digital has doubled in power
and halved in price every 18 months. That's "Moore's Law", which has held
steady since I programmed on two-ton, million-dollar mainframes 30+ years
ago. Now I carry a PDA computer in my pocket that has more speed and memory
than those old behemoths and it cost me $100! Digital cameras are showing
the same trend.

However, DSLR's are still in the doldrums of gigantic bodies that  look like
they are designed to hold film! The "pro-sumer" digital cameras seem to be
where designers get to exercise some creativity in what a new-generation
camera should be. A digital M with a tilting LCD screen would double the
capability of anyone with the slightest creativity.

Where is the rule that you have to hold up a camera to your eye to be a
genuine photographer? In fact a tiltable LCD camera can be held even
steadier than an M camera held up to the eye. Brace the LCD camera against
your stomach like a twin lens reflex, hold it against a wall or put it on
the table - the possibilities for steady shots increase dramatically with a
tiltable LCD screen!

If Leica could only partner with a company who could do a creative approach
to digital (and also apply Moore's Law to size and pricing!) Alas, I'm not
holding my breath. But a company somewhere out there will redefine the
professional digital camera, and it won't be like the current crop of DSLR's
that still look like film cameras mainly because that's ingrained as the
"pro-look", no matter how little they take advantage of the possibilities of
digital.

Frank, Dennis - get your eyes unglued from the optical viewfinder window and
look around!

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger