Subject: [Leica] Book & C-ing magazine.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 4 11:27:41 2005

Hi gang,

In my always roaming old book stores I came across a neat soft cover used
photo book the other day for the grand sum of $5.25. Obviously a huge amount
of my income. ;-)

Title?  "The Good Guide for Bad Photographers." :-) I suppose a husband-wife
team Tom & Michele Grimm.. It was printed June 1982. It's B&W with lots of
interesting text. Did I find out how bad a photographer I was? Yes in some
cases! ;-)  ISBN 0-452-25474-4

However, as we all know, one cannot possiblily know everything there is
about photography, a successful shooter or otherwise. And quite often in a
small simple book like this there's any number of "little things" that can
help any of us. So I thought it was a small economically priced publication
you might be interested in finding.

C-ing photo magazine:
Now the really important part of this post is the new photography
magazine... "C-ing Magazine."  It was brought to your attention last week by
another memeber prior to my receiving a copy. And all the good things said
about it last week I can only praise it even more so. Hey I have to say that
as I'm on the cover, well a picture from our "Women in Medicine" book along
with a beautiful spread of pages inside. Dang they make them look really
smashing! :-)

Of course all shot with 3 M7's, an R8, a couple of M6's (Sandy Carter's
gear) Tri-x and Leica glass! :-) Right on topic!!! :-)

It will carry photo essay's, single photos, photojournalistic documentaries
with a leaning toward illustrating Compassionate, Compelling, Creative
Camerawork.. It's a Canadian published magazine out of Calgary, Alberta. At
the moment a quarterly of excellent reproduction rarely seen in
photo-magazines of today. A solid quality paper stock which in turn helps
the reproductions look smashing. :-)

They have a websight...http://c-ingmagazine.ca/ for more details.

Let's put it this way... it isn't just another "super sized advertisment" as
so many photo rag mags we see these days. This is all about real photography
of quality, imagination and what we haven't seen published in sometime for
those of us interested in photojournalism.

And for the people who may think I have an interest in the magazine?  Yeah I
do!! However not economic in any way! I want to see it survive, succeed,
improve, get better so we Canadian's can show the world... "hey there's some
pretty damn fine photographers in this country!" And that my friends is
certainly all the Canadian's on list to get a subscription and help make
this magazine survive because you maybe in it one of these days.

Heck it's not going to cost anybody anything to have a look, no matter where
you are in the world you might be pleasantly surprised in a photo magazine
for a change!  Look at it this way, "Buy Canadian and we might be able to
move out of our igloo!" ;-)

ted