Subject: [Leica] my flag project is online/ Karen Schreiber
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 4 15:15:46 2005

Hi Karen,
An interesting project that I'd say has no end :-) Simply because you folks
south of the border show how strong you are in the belief of your country
through the uses of the flag.

Actually if you haven't checked yet I'd have a look on google to see if
there's a book along similar lines to your project. And if not, boy I'd be
working the daylights out of  the subject  as fast as possible to build a
collection of images to produce a book!!!

It's a great subject with so many interesting, unusual, incredible locations
and situations of a subject of interest, that if no one else has done it I'm
sure in a short time you could have a very interesting book and an American
publisher would produce.

Hey you've basically got nothing to lose as most of the locations are in
your country without a great deal of cost for travelling overseas or to
other countries.

The trick here is, shoot as many as you possibly can as different as you can
find, print a couple dozen at 8.5X11 size along with an interesting story
about the flag and what it stands for historically and today. Then drop it
off or send it to a publisher who produces "picture type books and wait to
see what happens.

You might be surprised and have it accepted and if that's the case, they'll
give you some kind of advance that would allow you to spend more time
roaming other parts of your country looking for flags.

By the same token it might end up having to be presented to several
publishers before it works. Or never becomes a book! :-( But that's life
when you think you have a good idea and nobody buys into it. However, I
think this has some specific merit certainly how strong American's feel
about their flag!

kindest regards,
ted

PS: I just checked Google and there is one book at the top of the list :-(
However, it could be an old one and given the locations in it they may not
be anything like your project.See if you can find a copy at the library or
else where for a look and if it's nothing like your concept, then run with
yours until you get turned down!  Remember nothing ventured is nothing
gained!   Good luck.

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] my flag project is online/ Karen Schreiber)