Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG A few thoughts
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Sep 4 16:23:49 2005

Feli:

> I didn't say that there wasn't any fast (and good glass) for the EOS
> series. I said that a large percentage of EOS digital shooters use
> zooms, which top out at f2.8 and therefore shooters are forced to use
> high asa settings. Most Leica shooters have f2 or f1.4 primes and can
> shoot at slower asa setting and would not be entirely out of luck if
> Leica (like everyother manufacturer outside of Canon) couldn't produce
> a camera that delivered clean results past 800 asa.

The issue with that comparison is that it's not comparing like to like.  How
many Leica zoom users have lenses faster than 2.8?  If somebody is going to
shoot primes, it's likely he'll shoot primes on either system.  If he wants
the convenience of zooms, it's not a fair tradeoff to compare a zoom with a
prime.

For what it's worth, my fastest Leica is the same as my slowest Canon.  35/2
asph Leica vs. 135/2L Canon.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/