Subject: [Leica] 50th Anniversary of Tri-X
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 5 15:10:23 2005

Timothy Atherton said: wisely! :-)
Subject: RE: [Leica] 50th Anniversary of Tri-X

> I've had a few M's crap out on me - usually at the worst possible time
> (like
> during a one off trip photographing the lives of the dump dwellers in
> Managua) - that's why you need to carry two or three bodies so you always
> have back-up<<<

Hi Tim,
On a "one off trip" or assignment I can't imagine going with only one body
even if the camera is new, used, old or has never given one a twig of
trouble.  Now if the location is some where you can return to in a few
minutes where the rocks and ferns will still be there for the next thousand
years, well Ok maybe not necessary for two or more bodies. ;-)

But generally after one has shot on locations around the world or shoots
where important dignitaries will never be involved again in the same scene,
one would be an absolute idiot not to carry two or more bodies. Particularly
if you were being paid to bring home the "picture bacon!"

I've had guys tell me they never use more than one camera. However, I've
lost count how many of them have told me later in their lives... "You
remember the time I told you I never carry more than one camera while I'm
shooting?"  "Yes." I respond, "And?"  Now you know what's coming before I
type it. ;-) Then they say something like... .. "I was in New Waterford and
my very best never to give me an ounce of trouble camera quit right in the
middle of picture taking! I could have cried."  "And?" The response?  "Boy I
learned my lesson and never go anywhere without two bodies now." :-)

Quite frankly I'm far more at ease, produce better over all photography when
I'm working with all my tools by my side, well on shoulders, neck, wherever.
Than carrying only one camera. Sure I've worked many an assignment with one
Leica M4 or 6 and a few sessions with one M7 and one lens, the Noctilux
usually. But the bag with all the rest of the stuff is almost within sight
just in case. ;-)  Like a kids soother! ;-) If you can see it you'll not
likely need it! :-)

I believe I mentioned in a previous post about changing lenses due to one
body and for me it's one big pain in the ass changing lenses or film. I've
found my biggest frustration with the 20 D is not the workings of the
camera, but not having two bodies or more allowing me to shoot quickly and
in a continuous flow without the breaks of lens changing.

And as far as "film quantity?" Well a digi card size can fix this in a hurry
as I only use 2 gig cards!:-)
Then you never worry about "film changing." ;-) But lenses? Damn I have to
fix this.:-)

However, I have been using the Digilux 2 with it's 28-90 lens, large volume
cards and it has helped very much. The trick is, shorten the neck strap on
the Digi 2 so it hangs on my chest high. get rid of the lens shade and it
doesn't look like a serious camera at all. Then hang the 20D off the left
shoulder and I begin to feel sort of in my normal work mode.

But two cameras or more of identical species is best, then ones fingers and
hands fall exactly where they should without even looking. And this woks
exactly the same film or digital models.

Kind of a long post to answer, sorry  Tim.

ted